Friday, May 27, 2011

Bugs In Your Popcorn

So today's post brings me to you a little grossed out.  We keep popcorn in a Rubbermaid container in our pantry and have done so for quite sometime.  While working in my office, I am interrupted by my wife who tells me that we have little bugs in our popcorn.

There is no way, I thought.  How could there be bugs in a Rubbermaid container that can be under water and not allow H2O in?  Well they are there, and multiplying from what I can tell which is even more perplexing.  Turns out that the container acted as an incubator that kept all good stuff in and the bad stuff (predators) out.

The bugs have a startling resemblance to creatures found to inhabit corn in the mid-west.  So, the larvae have been there for a long time.  This leads me unavoidably to the conclusion that we must have ingested some along the way...

Why do I keep getting full body shivers...?

1 comment:

  1. I recently discovered these nasty little things in my popcorn also. *shudder* I put the popcorn in a bag and hauled it outside and left it by the garage for my husband to inspect when he got home. Then proceeded to clean every inch of all my cupboards. I live in the mid-west, and these weevils climb thru your screens when the windows are open. Constantly cleaning them up off the counters and what not. I freeze all grains and pastas keep anything they might get into in ziplocs. This seems to help. It took me a long time to figure out they were coming from the crops tho, I am such a neat freak with OCD, I was freaking out thinking my house had bugs! lol

    ReplyDelete