Monday, May 23, 2011

Reality vs. Movie Critics

Imagine for a moment that you are a food critic and before you is laid some fresh salmon.  You take a piece of salmon in your fork and put it into your mouth.  You have never tasted something so wonderful as this fish.  The presentation is grand and you smile as your senses are rushed by the wonderful flavor.

Later that evening as you prepare to put pen to paper to review your meal, you instead choose to focus on the shoe laces of the person serving the table next to you.  In excruciating detail the review focuses on those dirty white laces with red and orange polka dots.  Your focus is so intense that the entirety of the meal is forgotten.  Sure you loved the food, but those shoe laces.... just.... arrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

The above is a perfect example of how movie critics work.  Watching a movie like Titanic, they focus on the fact that the iceburg wasn't cold enough.  There are so many movies that I would have missed had I chose to follow the recommendation of the critcs.  As long as I leave the movie feeling that I have not wasted my money, it is good.

I know the above is considered blasphemy in movie critic circles and I will never be invited to the Oscars let alone the Film Reviewers Hot Dog Roast.  I am crying inside... really...

No comments:

Post a Comment