Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Listen... No Really...


Being a parent is a lot of fun, at least that is how I like to look at it.  If it didn't view it that way, I would probably never make it.  For example, have you ever noticed that kids have a remarkable ability to concentrate... on the television?  I know what you are thinking, "where have you been the past 30 years?" 

Yes, I know that pondering the obvious is not a character trait worthy of my resume, but in all seriousness , have you watched children who are watching TV?  A hole to another universe with scary monsters could open up in front of them and yet they will still be glued to Mickey Mouse.  It is truly impressive.

Here's an experiment to try.  Go out and stand in front of any random child watching TV and see how long it takes them to realize they are not still watching TV.  I did that to my son once and it was ten whole seconds before he realized I was standing there.  He simply found the shortest distance to a viewing 'window' (at a very awkward angle I might add) and just sat there. 

One comparison I have found is people and their smart phones.  People will fall into water features in the mall rather than look up from their phones.

The art of parenting is finding a way to redirect the awesome power of childhood concentration.  You are probably expecting me to come out with some major new ideas on how to get your children to pay attention to their homework and dinner like they do to the television.  Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to.... uh.... well... sorry, could you move a little to the right?  Thanks...




No comments:

Post a Comment